Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Good Eats for Moms and Moms-to-be


 http://www.mr-damon.com/bibliography/images/moosewood_cookbook.jpg


Today I would like to talk about nutrition. Briefly. And let me get this out of the way right out of the shoot. I am not a vegetarian, but I love most vegetarian cuisine and try to eat meatless meals several times a week. I am not doing a review of cookbooks today, but I wanted to share one of my favorite cooking divas, Mollie Katzen. She authored the Moosewood cookbooks, Vegetable Heaven, The Enchanted Broccoli Forest and others. her website is chock full of great recipes too. Please check it out.

So, back to nutrition. I am a La Leche League Leader. I like what they have to say about nutrition, which is to eat a wide variety of foods in as natural a state as possible. In other words, choose whole grains, like brown rice and whole grain bread, and try your hand at baking with whole grain flour. These days it is easy to find light or white flour that is actually whole grain, and it is delicious. I like King Aurthur flour at my grocery, but you can find others. I used to buy wheat berries and grind them myself, but since I don't cook for as many people these days, I just buy the flour.
When I did my midwifery apprenticeship, I learned a lot from my senior midwife who was a big believer in the work of Dr. Brewer, who said that pregnant women should have 100 grams of high quality protein every day. Of her clients, who followed the diet, there were healthy babies and mothers. So, some good building blocks for nutrition in pregnancy are lots of fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains and high quality proteins. You can find great ways to put these all together with yummy recipes from Mollie Katzen.

No comments:

Post a Comment