Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Doula Advantage



Today I am reviewing a great little book, The Doula Advantage : Your Complete Guide to Having an Empowered and Positive Birth with the Help of a Professional Childbirth Assistant, by Rachel Gurevich.

An expectant Mom has so many choices these days, but choices can be overwhelming. When I first started as a doula in 1993, I was one of two in my area, and now there are dozens from which Moms can choose.
But you may be asking, "Why should I choose and doula, and how do I choose the best doula for me? "
I'm so glad you asked. That's where this book comes in.
The author interviewed 235 women and birth professionals, including yours truly !
And what she determined agrees with the research which shows that the right doula can make pregnancy and childbirth the celebratory experience it was meant to be. Doulas can also help women have more positive birth experiences, even when a cesarean, or other interventions are medically warranted. But the majority of the time, a doula will help reduce the incidence of invasive procedures that often lead to more of them.
You'll also learn the many ways that doulas provide labor support, how to find, choose and hire the right doula, how specialized doulas can help you before or after the baby's birth, how doulas help the dad-to-be, and much more. I highly recommend this book to all expectant mothers and fathers.



No comments:

Post a Comment